April 19, 2013
Thanks for being a part of our prayer network.
During the last few weeks I have preached in churches in GA and TX, traveled to WVA, and hosted meetings here in Atlanta. We had great family time as 9 of our 11 grandkids visited during Spring Break.
We continue to see the hand of God at work and recognize that without Him we can do nothing! Here are the prayer requests for the next few weeks:
Birthdays are special in our family. This month we are thanking God for:
- Josh – his birthday is April 20th
- KK’s dad (Big D) — he has his 90th birthday April 24th
- Castle Hills BC in San Antonio, TX (April 21st)
- Boston, MA (April 26-29)
>LoveLoud Weekend New Hamphshire (April 26-28)
>Meet with Boston Area Church planters (April 28)
>Meeting with Convention Leaders (April 29)
March 13, 2013
First, KK is doing well. Thanks for praying for her during time in the hospital a couple of weeks ago. They ruled out heart problems and released her. Then last week the out-patient MRI revealed changes in the upper back/neck interacting with nerves–explaining the sudden pain she experienced. She will see other specialists soon; so, at this point we have a partial diagnosis and hope to have a treatment plan soon.
Daughter Katy has her permanent visa and God has opened many doors for her to share the Good News! She wrote today that she had given a Bible to a lady who had never seen one.
Tomorrow I head to the Alabama coast to meet with 50 pastors and a few convention leaders. We will be talking about 2014 and how their churches can serve their cities, meet significant needs while sharing Christ.
Palm Sunday/ Easter Sunday
Recently the pastor of FBC Covington, GA accepted a call to a church in Birmingham. They asked me to preach for a couple of Sundays. This church (near East Atlanta) has seen significant growth the last few years and I am praying God will use me to encourage them during this time of transition. They will combine their 3 morning services on Easter Sunday for a special service at a local stadium. Pray for this evangelistic meeting that many will find new Life in the resurrected Christ!
February 7, 2013
It is always encouraging to go to our website and see how many prayer partners have visited the site. The daily hits are not that impressive – and I understand no need to keep reading the same blog post you’ve seen days before. But when I post an update — a bunch of you hit the site and I am really encouraged hoping that some of you are actually praying for us!
Yesterday the Trustees voted to remove the “interim” from my title and I am now serving as V.P. for Evangelism. We have a great group of our guys leading our 6 teams (GPS/Networks; LoveLoud; Disaster Relief; Chaplaincy; Collegiate; Revitalization) and it is my honor to serve them as they serve Southern Baptists in North America.
When I was pastoring I felt the weight of Heb. 13:17 knowing that I would give an account for the souls of those I served. As I officially accept this new position of service, I am feeling the weight of our collective assignment. We are called to see the multitudes of those who are lost in North America and work together to find ways to share the Good News of Jesus. I know I will give an account for this stewardship.
Pray for us.
January 18, 2013
We’re off to a great start in 2013. There are so many things to share but let me keep this short and list some specific prayer requests for the next few weeks.
- KK: is beginning a new semester teaching ESL at a nearby church. She is having great impact on her students.
- Big D (KK’s dad): is in good health and we are continuing to live with him and oversee his daily needs.
- Housing: we’ve talked about remodeling for over a year–going slow for a reason–need wisdom. We built a garage to store our household goods and are praying about some significant next steps. Pray for us.
- Katy (daughter): has received notice that her new visa is approved. She will be returning to Beirut next week.
- Josh (son): is leading his church on a Radical Faith journey. They are asking God to provide $300,000 by the end of January and they are well on their way. click here for updates http://trademarkchurch.blogspot.com
- Evangelism Team: pray for our new leadership team as we align our various teams for 2013. Our 6 teams are (LoveLoud, Disaster Relief, Chaplaincy, Collegiate, Partner Strategies & Services and Church Revitalization)
- On-going Disaster Relief (Super Storm Sandy): Our teams continue to facilitate volunteers in the Northeast.
- Speaking/Ministry Commitments:
- 2 churches in Lafayette, LA (Jan 27)
- Louisiana Evangelism Conference (Jan 28-29)
- San Diego– NAMB Trustee Meeting (Feb 4-6)
- FBC Alpharetta, GA (Feb 10)
- Nashville–SBC Executive Committee (Feb 18-19)
- New Orleans– Seminary Chapel (Feb 21)
- Houston– Woodridge BC (Feb 24) and Loving Houston Conference (Feb 24-25)
- Memphis– Mid-America Seminary (Feb 26)
Over the last few weeks I have received a number of notes from people in Louisiana telling me of their prayers for our upcoming meetings there. It has been SO encouraging to hear of people praying for us. Thanks for your intercession and know that we desperate need your friendship and prayers as we serve those seeking to penetrate lostness in North America.
November 10, 2012
Yes, the time I am busy and don’t post regular updates–is the time I need prayer the most!
You may know that I am serving as the interim VP for Evangelism/Leadership at the North American Mission Board (NAMB). In this role I am serving the Disaster Relief Team that is coordinating the work in the North East. Most of our State Conventions have a Disaster Relief (DR) organization and NAMB’s role is to facilitate and coordinate their work when they move into action beyond the boarders of their state. Hundreds have moved into action since SANDY hit (see website)
This week I will be traveling to New York to see the work and encourage the workers. Pray for:
- Gospel Impact as believers share the Gospel in Word and Deed.
- Strength and stamina for those who are serving every day
- Insight and direction for those in leadership who are attempting to shape the process
A few of the ministries in greater NYC
October 28, 2012
We are grateful for our prayer team…thank you for taking the time read the updates and praying.
I spent Friday and Saturday with FBC Woodstock observing their LoveLoud weekend. Over 125 Ministry Projects with thousands involved. Yesterday Pastor Johnny Hunt and I spent the day going from site to site. Learned a lot–definitely setting the pace for Southern Baptists.
Disaster Relief (DR)
A few weeks ago I was asked to provide interim VP for the Evangelism/Leadership Group. In this role I have the privilege of working with the Disaster Relief Team. Pray for Fritz Wilson, the new Executive Director for D.R. and the others in leadership and the thousands of volunteers. They are facing a challenge this week.
This Week’s Travel
Wednesday afternoon I drive over to Columbia, SC to get ready for Thursday morning meetings. Thursday is a busy day—I spend the morning with Dr. Jim Austin and the staff of the SC Baptist Convention. Thursday afternoon I drive to Greensboro, NC to speak at an evening meeting hosted by the Life Community Church (James 4900 West Wendover Ave Jamestown, NC)
Katy Returns to Beirut
Our daughter Katy has been in the States for a few weeks. She spent most of her time in Boise with Josh and the folks at Leap Charities (Parent organization for Stories of Our City). Katy returns to Beirut this Friday.
October 18, 2012
Our time in Chicago was incredible! Great city with great needs! We met some of our church planters and heard the stories of their work. It was so challenging to hear their hearts and see the hand of God at work in their lives.
Thanks for praying for us last weekend. We have everything moved from the storage place to our new garage. Although it is still very temporary and transitional, it saves us a lot of money every month and closes another chapter of our move. We still do not have clear direction on remodeling Big D’s home (in case you’ve missed it, Big D is KK’s dad). Pray for our patience and for insight and wisdom.
KK is teaching ESL at a nearby church. She loves it and is pouring her live into a her new friends from around the world. Thanks for praying for her and her ministry.
This has been a week to work on initiatives with our Evangelism teams. I enjoy serving these folks and the challenges and opportunities that we face as we serve our churches and seek to impact lostness in North America.
Sunday (10.21.12) I am preaching the closing session of a Global Impact Celebration at a church near my hometown. The church is Oak Hill Baptist and it is in Griffin, GA. Pray for clear anointing as I preach from the end of Matthew 9.
Thanks for your prayer support. Really don’t want to do all of this without you! I know how desperately we depend on God’s hand of blessing, provision and direction.